Exploring the Kharta Valley was how Mallory’s 1921 Everest Reconnaissance Expedition eventually realized how to climb Everest. They trekked from Sikkim, instead we drive to the last villages, beginning in the dry Kharta Valley and climb into lush scrub camping by alpine lakes. Over the first pass the panoramas open up, HUGE mountains litter the horizon. More pleasant trekking brings us to in your face Everest views and we actually stay at the normal Everest Base Camp as well as visiting Dza Rongphu (Rongbuk) Gompa.
As a bonus, before the trek we take an incredible snow-peak filled flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa, where we spend three and a half days exploring Jokhang Gompa and Barkor Square in the Tibetan quarter, the Potala Palace and Drepung and Sera Gompas just north of the city. Afterwards, we drive south through Tibetan villages to Shigatse and Tashilhumpo Gompa, perhaps the most resplendent monastery in Tibet.
- Day 01:Fly to Lhasa (3660m).
- Day 02:Sightseeing tour.
- Day 03:Sightseeing tour.
- Day 04:Acclimatization day.
- Day 05:Drive to Gyantse (3950m/261kms).
- Day 06:Sightseeing tour & drive to Shigatse (3900m/244kms).
- Day 07:Sightseeing tour & drive to Shegar (4050m/244kms).
- Day 08:Drive to Kharta (3690m).
- Day 09:Rest day in Kharta.
- Day 10:Trek to Lhundrubling (3990m).
- Day 11:Cross Shao-La (4970m)/trek to Kaamo Tsangpo valley.
- Day 12:Trek to Khangsung Valley (4300m).
- Day 13:Trek to Pethang Ringmo (4960m).
- Day 14:Trek Pethang Ringmo to Hoppo (4800m).
- Day 15:Trek to Kangshung Basa camp (5090m).
- Day 16:Trek to Base of Langma-La (5390m).
- Day 17:Cross Langma-La & trek to Lundrubling (3990m).
- Day 18:Trek to Kharta (3690m).
- Day 19:Drive to Rongbuk (5000m), trek to Everest North face base camp (5150m).
- Day 20:Drive to Kyirung (380kms).
- Day 21:Drive to Kathmandu (175kms).
- Day 22:Final departure.
What's Included / Excluded?
- 04 Nights’ accommodation at 3 Star hotel in Lhasa and best available en-route on bed and breakfast basis.
- 1 nights’ accommodation at 3 star hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast on twin sharing.
- All guided sightseeing tours in Lhasa with entry fees.
- Tibet visa and Tibet Travelling permit.
- Special permit for Everest/ Kangshung Base Camp.
- Transportation by Land Cruiser with support truck.
- Fully catered camping trek supported by Nepalese (Sherpa) crew & Tibetan guide.
- Meals during trek.
- Required yaks & yak drivers during trek.
- Airport transfers.
- PAC bag (Portable Altitude Chamber) & first aid medical kit.
- Transfer Kerung-Kathmandu by Bus/Jeep.
- Departure transfer.
- Any meals during hotel stay in Tibet and in Kathmandu.
- International airfare.
- Any cost incurred during emergency evacuation due to any reason (usually insurance covers this expense).
- Nepal visa.
- Tips, any expenses of personal nature.
- Your insurance.
|Start Date||End Date|