Cycling southeast from Taplejung on a combination of dirt and paved roads, down to the Indian border town of Charali, our route climbs, descends, twists and turns its way through a part of Nepal seen by very few tourists, and even fewer have seen it the way we are doing it.
After flying from Kathmandu to Taplejung via Biratnagar, the first four days are spent making our way south through picturesque villages and golden fields of rice and wheat to our highest camp on the Pauwa Pass, from where there are spectacular views stretching from Kanchenjunga to Mt Everest. From the pass, it’s a two-day ride through the tea plantations of Ilam [Nepal’s tea growing capital] to the warm plains of the Terai. We spend a day in Ilam to relax or to go exploring in the tea garden on and off the bike. The Terai with its colourful bazaars, fields of tea, fruits and vegetables and the ever smiling faces of the Nepalese. This area is completely unspoiled, with hardly any Westerners passing through – let alone mountain bikers. In only the first five days we cover around 240 km, with an awesome 5000m of ascent and even more awesome 7800m of descent.
- Day 01:Arrival in Kathmandu
- Day 02:Sightseeing tour in Kathmandu.
- Day 03:Flight to Bhadrapur (55min) and drive to Ilam (3 hrs.)
- Day 04:Drive to Taplejung (152kms) and explore around Village
- Day 05:Ride to Kabeli (58kms)
- Day 06:Ride to Jor Pokhari (32kms).
- Day 07:Ride to Pauwa Pass (30kms).
- Day 08:Ride to Ilam (55kms).
- Day 09:Ride in around Ilam.
- Day 10:Transfer to Bhadrapur (3 hrs.) airport and fly to Kathmandu (55min).
- Day 11:Final departure
What's Included / Excluded?
- Meet, assisted upon arrival at Kathmandu by our office representative.
- All arrival / Departure transfers as per the itinerary by air-conditioned vehicle.
- 03 Nights twin/double room accommodation with breakfast at 3 star hotel in Kathmandu.
- 07 Nights / 08 Days mountain biking trip as per the itinerary with our guide and supporting staff, vehicle on full board basis.
- Professional mountain biking guide as per the itinerary including his insurance,
- accommodation and meals.
- National park fee.
- Airfare for the sector Kathmandu / Bhadrapur / Kathmandu.
- Applicable government taxes.
* Any meals other than breakfast in Kathmandu.
* Cost for Mountain bike hire (US$ 60-65 per bike and depends on the type of bike).
* Travel insurance.
* International air fare to and from Nepal.
* Items and expenses of personal nature.
* Any kind of alcoholic drinks, cold drinks, snacks, laundry, phone call, internet.
* Any costs which arise due to a change of the itinerary, landslides, political disturbance and strikes etc.
* Any other costs whatsoever, that is not mentioned in the cost inclusion.
* Tipping amount.